I have completed the Coup perdu design and now have a working clock. Thanks Steve! I did find that some of the tolerances for the gears were quite tight and had to quite a bit of sanding where gears pass though other gears and through the Clock face hole .I did not have the issue with the 32 day clock
The tick is very loud! I only have a couple of coins in the motor to assist the reliability, Is there any way to make the coup tick a little quieter Steve ? Other wise my wife may relegate it to the spare room!
Thanks again for a great clock
I just posted my make of the deadbeat version. I had some trouble until I figured out the bearings in the front and back that support the pallet. It made almost no noise, but did not run, I added pennies to the motor holder and it was much nosier. I had no problem with tolerances, used Prusa 2.5 for slicing and printed on my Rat Rigs and Ender 5 Plus.
Thanks for posting photos.
Most of the noise in the Coup Perdu comes from the escapement rotating, then coming to a stop when it hits the pallet. The Coup Perdu collects all the energy from the complete pendulum swing and concentrates it into a single loud tick. A smaller low energy escapement would have less noise. This clock does that to a limited extent by adding an extra gear to allow the escapement to only have 12 teeth. It is hard to make it much smaller unless it could be machined in brass. The Coup Perdu seems to need a larger pendulum swing than the deadbeat, so it is difficult to reduce the escapement energy and still have a functional clock.
The deadbeat version of the clock is a lot quieter than the Coup Perdu. My non-scientific measurements are around 10dB quieter. There are more ticks, but each has less energy. The escapement still has 12 teeth, but the overall diameter is slightly smaller. It looks like you have already printed the deadbeat version of the clock. Unfortunately, I do not know how to make the deadbeat escapement any quieter. Placing it on a wooden desk can sometimes amplify the sound, so you might try some dampening underneath.
The tolerances around the clock face are around 0.5mm. I found it to work pretty good in my printer without additional sanding. Of course, there are many tolerances to account for like extrusion multiplier, filament tolerances, etc. The 32 day clock has 0.625mm tolerances which can get a bit sloppy in a clock with a second hand and an additional gear in the stack passing through the frame. Maybe I should loosen them up a bit.